Area: 167,000 sq km
Administrative division: 17 Prefecture-level cities, 50 sub-municipal districts
Henan province is briefly named Yu, with Zhengzhou as its provincial seat. Henan's economy has witnessed rapid development in recently years, with its industrial restructuring showing progress. The Henan's industry has advantages in both resources and processing, with machinery, electronics, chemical industry, foodstuff, light industry and textile, building material etc. as its pillar industries and many countrywide well-known enterprises within its portfolio. Henan is the major agricultural region of China, with the output of wheat and sesame ranking the first in the country and rice, maize and tobacco as the main crops.
In 2008, Henan's GDP totaled RMB 1.8408 trillion, ranking 5th in China. By 2008, the population of permanent residents in Henan amounted to 99.18 million, with a per capita GDP of RMB 15,001.
1. To draw up local laws and regulations regarding health; to formulate and implement the general plan and goal of the provincial reform and development regarding health; to formulate technical norms, health standards, and supervise and implement them.
2. To plan for and coordinate the allocation of health resources; to formulate and implement the plan of provincial work regarding health as well as development suggestion and service standard of urban community health services.
3. To be responsible for the prevention and cure of infectious diseases as well as the publication of the list of infectious diseases under supervision; to search and sort out information for medical education website; to supervise and administer works regarding health in fields of foods, labor, environment, radiation and schools; to organize and formulate the norms and regulations for the quality administration of foods and cosmetics, and to be responsible for the certification work.
4. To formulate and organize the implementation of health care plan and regulations regarding rural health, women and children's health as well as the primary health care; to guide the searching and sorting out information of the medical education website; to supervise the special technology of maternal and infant health care, and the implementation of technology for family planning.
5. To be responsible for the administration of health industry. To monitor medical institutions; to formulate the enforcement regulations for the management of medical personnel, to set out the standards of health care quality as well as the service regulations, and furthermore, to supervise and carry out their implementation.
6. To supervise and administer blood donation and supply institutions and the quality of blood used in clinic; to mobilize and organize citizens to donate blood freely.
7. To draw up and implement the development plan for provincial medical science and education; to organize the key medical researches, the appraisal of medical science achievements as well as its promotion and application.
8. to formulate and implement the development plan for provincial medical personnel and the professional code of ethics for them; to carry out the qualification standards of national health professionals; to be responsible for the recruitment of medical personnel.
9. To organize and coordinate the international communication and cooperation with World Health Organization, and other communication in varied fields of medical; to be responsible for the aid foreign works concerning health.
10. To abide by the guideline of attaching equal importance to traditional Chinese medicine and western medicine; to promote the carrying on, innovation and cooperation of traditional Chinese medicines.
11. To be responsible for related works concerning patriotic health movement.
12. To organize and allocate the health technical personnel in the province; to organize the searching and sorting out of information for the medical education website; to deal with emergency cases regarding sudden outbreak of diseases and infectious diseases; to take precautions against and control epidemic situation, the diseases and its overspreading; to be responsible for the construction of medical first aid system and the organization of provincial major emergency treatment.
13. To be responsible for the deployment, application and quality supervision of large-sized medical facilities for medical institutions; to be responsible for the specific management of medical institutions¡¯ pharmaceutics and medicines; to take charge in organizing and supervising the centralized procurement of medical institutions.
14. To research and establish sound compensation system of health care; to expand fundraising channels and to organize and implement other policies which are related to the health care system reform; to monitor the price of medical services.
15. To regulate basic health care services, to formulate its standards, and to participate in the management of basic medical expenses.
16. To undertake other works assigned by the provincial government.
Director-General: Liu Xuezhou
Deputy Directors: Xia Zuchang